Timothy Donnelly is the author of Twenty-seven Props for a Production of Eine Lebenszeit (Grove, 2003) and The Cloud Corporation (Wave, 2010; Picador, 2011), winner of the 2012 Kingsley Tufts Poetry Award. His chapbook Hymn to Life was recently published by Factory Hollow Press and with John Ashbery and Geoffrey G. O’Brien he is the co-author of Three Poets published by Minus A Press in 2012. He is a recipient of The Paris Review’s Bernard F. Conners Prize and the Poetry Society of America’s Alice Fay Di Castagnola Award as well as fellowships from the New York State Writers Institute and the Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. He is the poetry editor of Boston Review and teaches in the Writing Program at Columbia University’s School of the Arts.
Donnelly is a poet everyone should read.
—David Wheatley, The Guardian
If Whitman had had a young kid and a Brooklyn apartment, too many bills, and stack of takeout menus in the top drawer of his Ikea desk, he would have written these poems...
—Dan Chiasson, The New Yorker
[The Cloud Corporation] is an extraordinary collection—the poetry of the future, here, today.
—John Ashbery, The London Times
Dramatic tension, humor, lyrical profundity. This is an utterly ingenious and proudly inclusive voice, incorporating clouds—you cannot turn away from it...
—Carol Muske-Dukes, Huffington Post
Timothy Donnelly meditates on the very terms that make meditation possible—terms such as “knowledge,” “mystery,” “particular,” “mind,” and “will”...and he makes the tough time we have pinning those terms down into one of his typical subjects. His kind of pessimistic introspection, cast in long sentences and in three-line stanzas, might remind you of late Wallace Stevens...
—Stephen Burt, Coldfront
Timothy Donnelly is a talented writer...an astonishing technician...
—David Orr, Poetry
Reviews of books by Timothy Donnelly
The Cloud Corporation
- “Malamute” (in The New Yorker)
- “Globus Hystericus” (in The Paris Review)
- Three poems (in Columbia: A Journal of Literature and Art)
- “His Theogeny” and “The New Intelligence”(in Verse Daily)
- Two poems (on The Awl)
- “Poem Interrupted by Whitesnake” (on Poets.org)
- “Partial Inventory of Airborne Debris” (in Memorious)
- “The Driver of the Car Is Unconscious” (in E-Verse)
- “In His Tree” (on The The Poetry)
- “Apologies from the Ground Up” (in Poetry London)
- “Hymn to Life” (in Poetry)
Articles by Timothy Donnelly
- “A Match Made in Poetry: Yvor Winters vs. Hart Crane” (on Poets.org)
- Publishers Weekly, with Craig Morgan Teicher
- Harper's Magazine, with Jess Cotton
- Coldfront, with John Deming
- Days of Yore, with Astri von Arbin Ahlander
- Guernica, with Sean Patrick Hill
- The Rumpus, with Stephen Elliot
- Reading and discussion with Jennifer Krovonet and Brett Fletcher Lauer, for New York Public Library’s Periodically Speaking series
Footage from the The Cloud Corporation release party in Brooklyn, including brief interviews with Mary Jo Bang, Mark Strand and Joshua Bell:
Discussing the influence of the internet on writing for the 2012 Poets Forum:
Reading at Claremont University:
Thursday NOVEMBER 21, 2014 2:00pm
Timothy Donnelly will be speaking at New York University as part of the Bagley Wright Lecture Series on Poetry.
58 W 10th Street, New York NY