Laynie Browne is a poet, prose writer, teacher and editor. She is author of fourteen collections of poems and four books of fiction. Recent publications include Translation of the Lilies Back into Lists (forthcoming May 2022, Wave Books) a book of poems, In Garments Worn by Lindens; a novel, Periodic Companions; and a book of short fiction, The Book of Moments. Her work has appeared in journals such as Conjunctions, A Public Space, New American Writing, The Brooklyn Rail, and in anthologies including The Ecopoetry Anthology (Trinity University Press), The Reality Street Book of Sonnets (Reality Street, UK), and Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology (W.W. Norton). Her poetry has been translated into French, Spanish, Chinese, and Catalan. She co-edited the anthology I'll Drown My Book: Conceptual Writing by Women (Les Figues Press, 2013) and edited the anthology A Forest on Many Stems: Essays on The Poet's Novel (Nightboat, 2020). Honors and awards include a Pew Fellowship, the National Poetry Series Award for her collection The Scented Fox (Wave Books, 2007), and the Contemporary Poetry Series Award for her collection Drawing of a Swan Before Memory (University of Georgia, 2005). She teaches at the University of Pennsylvania.
I’ve been persuaded by the poems’ psyches to lose myself, to forget the existence of anything outside the mind, anything concrete enough to become a physical obstacle to stability, awareness, or wisdom. Laynie Browne is my new best friend.
—Melinda Wilson, Coldfront
Browne seems to create a literary landscape that is conscious of itself, right down to the very letter.
—Sara Johnson, Zoland Poetry Review
Reviews of books by Laynie Browne
- Poems from Translating the Lilies into Lists in the Brooklyn Rail
- Poems from The Traveling Crystal (from Titantic Operas)
- Into the Wild, on the work of Bhanu Kapil (on The Poetry Foundation)
- Bookslut, with Jason B. Jones
- Laynie Browne's page on PennSound
- Interview with Arizona Public Media, NPR
- Reading at Pegasus Books, Berkeley, May 2007
- Reading at the Chax Press Cushing Street Series, Tucson, November 2007
- Contemporary Writers Reading Series, Brown University, October 2004