CAConrad is the author of ECODEVIANCE: (Soma)tics for the Future Wilderness (forthcoming from Wave Books, 2014), A Beautiful Marsupial Afternoon (Wave Books, 2012) and The Book of Frank (Wave Books, 2010/Chax Press, 2009), as well as several other books of poetry and essays. A 2014 Lannan Fellow, a 2013 MacDowell Fellow, and a 2011 Pew Fellow, he also conducts workshops on (Soma)tic poetry and Ecopoetics.
There was a time some of us believed poetry and poets could save the world; CAConrad never stopped believing it—and in that belief, and in poems produced under the sign of belief, we can witness an extroverted existentialism that just may be the last best hope for poets and non-poets alike.
—Seth Abramson, The Huffington Post
Conrad must be one of the most original practitioners of poetry forging new territory.
—Sean Singer, The Rumpus
His books are filled with alluringly odd and dark images that could rival William S. Burroughs. Conrad, an out-and-proud gay activist, fills his poems with his own brand of spirituality and loving gay sexuality.
—A.D. Amorosi, Philadelphia Inquirer
It is rare to find a poet who can admit, without losing face, that the voice of the world is often their own. It is still more rare to find one who can do so without losing our interest. CAConrad is one such poet.
—Mary Wilson, Make Magazine
Conrad isn’t interested in that sort of perfection; it’s the messy business of being in the world that Conrad is after, and which allows him to reach for “seismic levels of wildness.”
—Abraham Avnisan, Rain Taxi
Reviews of books by CAConrad
A Beautiful Marsupial Afternoon
The Book of Frank
- CAConrad’s blog
- CAConrad’s (Soma)tic Poetry Exercises blog
- “Reading Starlight with One Eye like Creeley” (in Poetry Magazine)
- “Guessing My Death [excerpt]” (on Poets.org)
- Two poems (in Everyday Genius)
- Two poems (in Dusie)
- “rehab saved his life but drugs saved mine at the blue HOUR” (in Coconut)
- “I Loved Earth Years Ago” (in PEN America)
- Three Poems (in Similar Peaks)
- Five Poems (in The Brooklyn Rail)
- “Aphrodisios” (in Bomb)
- “Confetti Allegiance” (in The Academy of American Poets)
- “Suffering Makes No Home Alone” (in Broken Toujours)
- “You Don't Have What It Takes To Be My Nemesis” (in Diode)
- Interview with Thom Donovan, excerpted from A Beautiful Marsupial Afternoon, at Poets.org
- The Poetry Foundation, with Eileen Myles
- The Philadelphia Inquirer, with A.D. Amorosi
- The Poetry Society of America
- BOMBLOG, with Luke Degnan
- Bookslut, with John Zuarino
- The The Poetry, with Lisa Marie Basile
- The Wild, with Brenda Iijima
- The Rumpus, with Tara Murtha
- Coldfront, with Steven Karl
- The Huffington Post, with Jonathan Hobratsch
- CAConrad reading on the Poetry Magazine podcast
- CAConrad's page on PennSound
- Recording of CAConrad reading at the Hedreen Gallery in Seattle
- CAConrad reading with Frank Sherlock at Small Press Traffic
- CABINET reading with Maggie Nelson, Eileen Myles, Wayne Koestenbaum and others
- CAConrad on Anne Sexton’s poem “Portrait of an Old Woman on the College Tavern Wall” at the Poetry Foundation
- Reading from The Book of Frank at The Poetry Project
- Interview with Joseph Milford
- David Buuck tries out some of CAConrad’s (Soma)tic Poetry Exercises at The Poetry Foundation
- Reading from The Book of Frank, A Beautiful Marsupial Afternoon, and more at the University of Arizona Poetry Center
Animated film for A Beautiful Marsupial Afternoon by Luca Dipierro:
Reading for Poeteevee:
Reading from The Book of Frank for The Machine Project:
CAConrad discusses his (Soma)tic exercises which inspired A Beautiful Marsupial Afternoon:
- Sunday SEPTEMBER 7, 2014 8:00pm
CAConrad will be celebrating the release of his new book ECODEVIANCE: (Soma)tics for the Future of Wilderness. Hosted by Frank Sherlock.
L'ETAGE, 6th and Bainbridge Streets, Philadelphia PA
Friday SEPTEMBER 12, 2014 - Sunday, SEPTEMBER 21, 2014
CAConrad will be a writer-in-residence at Flying Object. During his residency, he will lead the (Soma)tic Poetry Rituals: Cartography Workshop. Workshops will be held on various dates during his residency. Please see the Flying Object website for details.
42 West Street, Hadley, MA
Saturday OCTOBER 18, 2014 1:00pm-4:00pm CST
CAConrad will teach a one-day online class, RADICAL INSISTENCE: A (Soma)tic Poetry Workshop.
Register online at the Chicago School of Poetics