Rodney Koeneke is author of the poetry collections Etruria (Wave Books, 2014), Musee Mechanique (BlazeVOX, 2006), and Rouge State (Pavement Saw, 2003), winner of the Transcontinental Poetry Award, along with several chapbooks. He’s also published a historical monograph, Empires of the Mind: I.A. Richards and Basic English in China, 1929-1979 (Stanford University Press, 2004). An early member of the Flarf Collective, he was involved with Poets Theater and Neo-Benshi events in the San Francisco Bay Area until 2006, when he moved to Portland, Oregon where he currently lives, writes, and teaches British and World History at Portland State University.
(Author photo by Anna Daedalus)
Melding images of natural timelessness with appearances from contemporary culture, Koeneke’s collection [Rouge State] is easily enjoyed by the well-seasoned bard and poetic neophyte alike.
Reviews of books by Rodney Koeneke
Rodney Koeneke's blog, Modern Americans
- “They Will Sew The Blue Sail” (in The Volta)
-“Apology to Pasternak” (in Eleven Eleven)
- “after lunch, some poems” (in Gulf Coast)
- “Eleven” (in The Brooklyn Rail)
- “Jazz Impressions of Gazprom” (in Shampoo)
- Three Poems (in Jacket Magazine)
- “Pyjamas” (in Granta)
- “I Should Feel Happy” and a discussion of the poem (from The Poetry Society)
- “La Chevy Nova” (on The Book Haven)
- “sharon mesmer” (in Lemon Hound)
- Modern Americans, with Gary Sullivan
- Late Night Library, with Amanda McConnon
- Studio One Reading Series, with Sheila Davies Sumner and Casey McAlduff
- “Hannah Weiner and Basic English”
- Performing with Drew Gardner’s Poetics Orchestra at the Zinc Bar
- On Poet as Radio: Part One and Part Two
Reading Jackson Mac Low's "Forties 131":
Reading "Pizza Kitty" at Flarf Festival 2006:
Friday JUNE 17, 2016 8:00pm
Rodney Koeneke will read with Johanna Jackson and Andrew Maxwell for the Poems reading series.
City Limits Gallery, 300 Jefferson Street, Oakland, CA
Tuesday JUNE 28, 2016 8:00pm
Rodney Koeneke will read with Julian Talamantez Brolaski, Amy Langer, and Emji Spero for Amy's Kitchen Organics Reading Series.
The Aesthetic Union, 555 Alabama Street, San Francisco, CA
Tuesday JULY 5, 2016 7:00pm
Rodney Koeneke will read with Lindsey Boldt and Mark Wallace for the False Starts Reading Series.
The Lab, 2948 16th Street, San Francisco, CA